OHS Photography Club Challenge 1

>> Sunday, September 13, 2009



My wife and I walk the same route every night that is about one block from our house, but it seems like it is in the country.  There is a whole field full of old tractor motors, and I thought it was perfect for photos.  The above photo is one I thought that demonstrated the "Rule of Thirds" composition rule.  I loved the way it turned out.  I converted it to sepia and did some other "soft focus" techniques.

This photo is untouched and I LOVE the natural primary colors in it.  I am not sure what rule of composition it is, but I just like it!

 

I loved the rust colors in the above photo, but I really liked the way it turned out as a black and white photo....so I am not sure.  I think your eye naturally gravitates to the gauges that seem to jump out demonstrating the "Strong Center of Interest" design rule.


Another photo from the "engine graveyard."  I think this shows the "Frame the Photo With Foreground" rule of composition.  The rusty bar above frames the top and the various gray machinery on the bottom seems to frame the bottom, drawing your focus to the orange motor in the middle.


I think this photo represents the "Angle of Perspective" rule.  I did some editing in Photoshop using selective color after making the photo black and white.  I liked how the colors fade on the motors as they fade off in the distance.  If you look closely, you can see the grasshoppers on the engine on the left.


The above photo shows a couple of the things that I really love...basketball and my son, Connor.  Even thought the action in the background is blurred and in the distance, you can still feel the action.

Grasshoppers on an old fence post....recipe for a great photo.  The above photo is untouched and I like the way it turned out.

This last photo turned out pretty sweet.  I liked the natural blue color of the "Aqua Globe" that my wife has on a plant on our back porch.  I converted it to black and white and did some selective coloring to it.  This photo demonstrates both the "Rule of Thirds" and "Strong Center of Interest" design rules.


The photo above was shot at the O'Neill Cross Country Invitational.  I used an f/36 and shutter speed of 1/20 to give the "Effect of Motion." 

0 comments: