Anoka, Nebraska Grain Elevator Texture

>> Sunday, August 22, 2010

Anoka is an Indian word meaning “on both sides”, in this case, alongside Ponca Creek, was named by the Pioneer Town Site Co. after Anoka MN. The school district was organized in 1893 and formalized 16 February 1900. The village of Anoka was organized in 1903, and soon had a weekly newspaper (Anoka Herald, 1904), 2 grain elevators, hotel, bank, livery stable, a general, a hardware, and a drug store, lumber yard, and barber shop. By 1905 Anoka had 31 businesses, now just a few buildings remain.